Saturday, March 27, 2010

His work on the School Committee provides significant long term value to the town that we all share

It is encouraging to see that we have a significant slate of candidates running for office in this year’s town election. Acton succeeds as a town because people are willing to step up and serve on volunteer boards and committees and in the high pressure seats on the towns elected boards.

Many people have asked me who I will be supporting for the two open Selectmen seats and the two School Committee seats. I have submitted a brief endorsement letter to the Beacon but have decided to expand on that in this email to people who have supported me in the past.

First, I would like to thank all of you for your support. Being a Selectman is a very difficult job. The issues that come before us are, by their nature, complicated. The consistent support I received from the people of this town helped me to sort through the issues and attempt to come to decisions that will be in the long term best interest of the town.

In the Selectmen’s race, I am proud to endorse Janet Adatchi. Janet’s training and experience as an attorney is excellent background for understanding the broad range of issues that come before the board. Janet’s role in serving as a volunteer and leader for many years on the Conservation Commission and Community Preservation Commission has shown her willingness and ability to understand complex issues and forge consensus around solutions. Janet understands the issues facing Acton and, if elected, will serve the town well.

I also urge you to vote for Pam Harting Barrat. Pam has a long history of service on a range of town boards and committees including the Planning Board, the School Committee and the Board of Selectmen. If she is elected, this experience will help the new board by providing historical perspective on the decisions that it will face in the upcoming years.

Dean Cavaretta has a lot of enthusiasm and energy and a passion for transportation issues. However, I am concerned that because he just moved back to Acton in November after a 10 year absence, taking a seat on the highest board in town may not be the best use of his talents at this time. I would encourage him to volunteer for a couple of years on the Transportation Advisory Committee while he comes up to speed on the issues currently facing the town.

For the school committee, I support Amy Hedison’s candidacy. She brings a strong commitment to the schools and a history of volunteering inside the schools that will allow her to effectively represent the point of view of parents.

I am also supporting Xuan Kong’s bid for re-election to the School Committee. I have enjoyed working with Xuan through the ALG process as the chairs of our respective boards. I believe that in addition to his work on the School Committee his unofficial role as a liaison to the Chinese Community provides significant long term value to the town that we all share.

Regardless of whether you agree with my choices in these races, I encourage you to vote on March 30th. If you cannot vote that day, you may fill out an absentee ballot at Town Hall, of course.

Please feel free to forward this email if you wish to do so.

Paulina Knibbe

No comments: