Thursday, March 25, 2010

Xuan Kong is a man of the highest character, his leadership has been part of what has helped us successfully navigate the economic landscape

My family moved almost every three years as I was growing up. With each move, my parents found their new home based on one guiding principle: Find the best school system in the state and make it your home. I benefited from what they had discovered: A community invested in its schools was invested in the future. While I do not have children of my own, I have found my parents guiding principle has served me well in making a home in Acton.

I also was taught early to value the importance of diversity. It was one thing to say that one should explore different cultures and different perspectives. It was another to actively engage with different cultural perspectives. The world became at once a bigger - and a smaller - place- by seeking friends from different cultures.

It is fort these reasons that I am supporting Xuan Kong’s candidacy for School Committee. First, I believe that as the incumbent Chair of the Acton Public Schools, Dr. Kong’s leadership has been part of what has helped us successfully navigate the economic landscape. He has made informed decisions, and is clearly committed to honoring the tradition of excellence that define our schools. Second, Xuan and his family have actively offered me opportunities to learn more about their heritage. He has made Acton both larger, and smaller, and has been a respectful and engaging teacher. However, my third reason for supporting Xuan is perhaps the most important. I know Xuan Kong to be a man of the highest character. I know he will make decisions that are wise, with even- handedness and honesty. I know he is invested in bringing out the best qualities in the School Board, in our Schools and in our community.

Brenda Gowing

No comments: