Saturday, March 13, 2010

Xuan has a deep commitment to education

I have had the pleasure of working with Xuan Kong on the School Committee in Acton for the past two years. Xuan’s performance as a member of the committee has been exemplary. In the past year as chair, Xuan has worked diligently to streamline meetings and provide focus on important issues. His attention to detail has improved the quality of materials that are presented to the committee as well as the discussion in the committee. His willingness and ability to perform detailed technical analysis of the budget has advanced the work of the committee and the quality of our schools. He has been tireless in reaching out to the community as shown by the monthly updates he has written for the APS PTO newsletters and assignment of individual school committee members as liaisons for each elementary school.

Xuan has a deep commitment to education. Although his current job is technical, his background as a teacher is easily seen. Our students, K-12, are as diverse as the students I met in graduate school. I am truly thankful that Xuan brings to our committee the immigrant and ethnic values that are critical to the ongoing success of our schools and our community. Xuan’s commitment to the universal value, fair play, is always apparent in his analysis of the impact of our decisions on each and every student.

Knowing that Xuan’s three year term was ending, I called Xuan encouraging him to run again and build on his experience. I was thrilled when Xuan called me to tell me that he would run for a second term. I hope you will share my enthusiasm in voting for Xuan on March 30th.

John Petersen
Member, Acton School Committee

No comments: